Tourist tax in Faro 2020 – Faro Portugal introduces new Tourist Tax
The beguiling city of Faro is the capital of southern Portugal’s Algarve region. The district bears the same name as the city i.e Faro Portugal. With its neoclassical architecture, captivating cathedrals & meandering streets, Faro attracts a major chunk of Portugal tourists. With that aspect into consideration, a new Tourist tax in Faro 2020 is being imposed to generate revenue.
The primary objective of collecting a Tourist Tax is to reduce the impact of tourism & make the city more pleasant so that many more tourists can come to Faro Portugal. Official estimates of the National Statistics Institute (NIE) states that taxes collected will also take into account the overnight stays normal value. A positive point of this new tax imposition is that many categories of tourists are exempt from it. Read on to know more about the characteristics & details of the Tourist tax in Faro 2020.
Date of imposition & Charges of the Tourist tax in Faro 2020?
- The new Tourist Tax will be effective from 1st March 13, 2020, & will be levied till 31st October 2020.
- Each person will be charged €1.5 per night.
Who are exempted from the Tourist tax of Faro Portugal?
Here are the following categories of people who are exempted from the new tax formulated for tourists:
- Children & young people up to the age of 13 years.
- National & Foreign students of the University of Algarve (upto 60 days).
- People associated with performing medical acts. A companion will also be included in the exemption.
- People with 60% disability.
Characteristics of the Tourist tax in Faro 2020
Here are the prominent features that tourists must take note of:
- The new tax for tourists will be charged per head & not as a bulk (a group of people, family etc)
- Tourists will be charged for each day spent at a hotel or local accommodation in Faro Portugal.
- There is a small positive point that long-duration stay tourists can take advantage of. The Tourist Tax will be levied for a maximum of seven days. If any person stays for 10 or 15 days, they just have to pay tax for the first 7 days.
Why is Faro Portugal levying the Tourist Tax now?
- Faro is implementing the Tourist Tax to mitigate the effects of less footfall & Tourism.
- The tax collected will be used for the following purposes:-
- To make the city more appealing & pleasant for Tourists.
- Public space improvements & modifications.
- Betterment of Tourist facilities & cultural activities.
- Improving the riverfront & downtown.
- Municipal Museum & Teatro Lethes improvements.
- Better facilities at Vila Adentro for reduced mobility people.
So, while applying for a Portugal Visa do check for the details & requirements related to the new Tourist Tax. Clear all the formalities for a hassle-free visit to the amazing Faro Portugal with your loved ones.